[Gllug] Tape backups

Adrian McMenamin adrian at newgolddream.dyndns.info
Mon Feb 16 08:32:47 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-02-16 at 08:22 +0000, Jose Luis Martinez wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 15, 2009 at 12:11 PM, Adrian McMenamin
> <adrian at newgolddream.dyndns.info> wrote:
> > Given that my tape (DDS4) takes four hours plus to bzip2, tar and write
> > to tape 16GB of data, I am wondering what, if any, the advantages of
> > backing up to tape, as opposed to (now very cheap) disk might be?
> >
> How important is your data?
>
> How much money do you have?

a) Reasonably important. It would be a severe pita to lose things but
would not actually wreck my life/business etc

b) Not much. This is all done at home. In response to earlier
abusive/sarcastic remarks I fully admit I am using second-hard hardware
bought for a song on ebay.

I have the ability to externally mirror stuff now and think I will start
doing that

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk