[Gllug] Perl Question - Spam Filter for NMS Form Mail

James Laver james at jameslaver.com
Mon Feb 9 13:11:59 UTC 2009

On Mon, February 9, 2009 12:10 pm, Joel Bernstein wrote:

> The recaptcha requires JavaScript.
> What will you offer to your screen-reader using blind who don't use
> JavaScript-capable browsers?
>
> Incidentally Braille will be produced locally by the reader's
> hardware. All you need to do is ensure that your website is navigable
> without requiring JavaScript etc. As for *why* screenreaders typically
> don't render JS, I suspect a large part of the problem is
> communicating asychronous changes to a page to a user who can't see
> that page and is only aware of its text as read/brailled.
>
> /joel

Not to mention the fact that most javascript-driven web pages play hell
with taborder and such, it's confusing enough for fully sighted people to
use some sites, let alone people who don't get the visual feedback of
stuff appearing on the screen.

*some* screen readers support javascript, but for the most part they
don't, and nor should they be expected to -- if your site requires
javascript for its operation (read: there isn't a way to use it without
javascript) and it's not for technical limitations, then you're probably
doing it wrong. With technical limitations taken into account, sometimes
you're better off developing an offline application which can take
advantage of OSes accessibility tools for native applications. With Qt, I
believe you could achieve accessibility across Windows, OSX and Linux.*

One site I worked on recently offered users a more simplified view if they
didn't have javascript enabled (without javascript, you could filter by
one category, with javascript, many). I *could* have made the full
functionality available to non-js users but it would have been so
confusing to use, it wouldn't have been worth it.

Anyway, there appears to have been a minor, non-directed rant entangled in
my post, so I'll just quit there...

-J
* GTK Fanboys can direct their hate mail to
http://www.staikos.net/~staikos/whyqt/
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk