[Gllug] Camalyn Vacancy Posts

Simon Wilcox essuu at ourshack.com
Tue Feb 3 19:36:02 UTC 2009

- Tethys wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 6:16 PM, Juergen Schinker
> <ba1020 at homie.homelinux.net> wrote:
>
>> the problem is how to tell which agency is good
>
> That's the real problem. I haven't found a good solution so far, other
> than trial and error.

You turn the tables on them and interview the agency.

You are a valuable asset and they are going to make money from opening
the door to a good appointment for you. Even in a downturn a good agency
will acknowledge that their candidates are far more important than the
companies that pay the commission. Without a good pool of candidates a
company is not going to be satisfied and will not take anybody and
therefore pay no commission.

Before you allow an agency to forward your CV, ask to meet the agent
that will be looking after you. Quiz them about their past experiences
and what they know of both your skills and the kind of companies you
want to work for.

Ask them for references, people who have been successfully placed by
that particular agent, not just the agency and contact them to find out
how it went.

Any agency that won't, or can't, provide references isn't worth dealing
with.

Working with good agencies can be a joy both as a recruiter and as a
candidate. Bad agencies should not be tolerated.

S.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk