[Gllug] Purchasing music online

Cillian de Roiste cillian.deroiste at gmail.com
Mon Feb 2 20:10:05 UTC 2009

> Is it possible to purchase tracks from somewhere like iTunes, if one doesn't have the iTunes application?

To take another tack on the question, perhaps you'd consider having a
look at what could arguably be the total opposite of iTunes. For the
last few years I've primarily been listening to CC music from
jamendo.com, dogmazic.net and archive.org. Just like free software you
are encouraged to download and distribute/promote freely and if you
really like something what better way to show your appreciation than
with cold hard cash. This business model gives artists full control
over their music, helps them to gain a wider audience, plan tours/gigs
and get to know the people who are really interested in their music
and even to make a bit of money out of it. Sure, you're definitely not
going to find the music being promoted by the Music Industry on these
sites and presumably not a single track that's available on iTunes,
but if you're willing to invest a bit of time exploring what's out
there you'll surely find plenty of great stuff and enjoy the direct
interaction with the artists.

http://www.last.fm/user/cillianderoiste is what I've been listening to.

--
Cillian