[Gllug] VPS Hosting

Joel Bernstein joel at fysh.org
Sat Feb 14 20:00:02 UTC 2009

2009/2/14  <andy at andymillar.co.uk>:
> Isn't EC2 very expensive for a single VPS?
>
> It makes sense for dealing with scaling to deal with bursts of demand but I thought it was nasty for a "home user".

I don't know. Maybe I have different requirements. I tend to look
bogglingly at the miniscule RAM / storage / .. available with most VPS
packages.

I have one of these:
1.7 GB memory
1 EC2 Compute Unit (1 virtual core with 1 EC2 Compute Unit)
160 GB instance storage (150 GB plus 10 GB root partition)
32-bit platform
I/O Performance: Moderate
Price: $0.10 per instance hour

Amazon define a "compute unit" as "One EC2 Compute Unit provides the
equivalent CPU capacity of a 1.0-1.2 GHz 2007 Opteron or 2007 Xeon
processor. This is also the equivalent to an early-2006 1.7 GHz Xeon
processor referenced in our original documentation."

To be fair I use EC2 to build up / prototype deployments for clients
and the ability to easily clone a VM (and to store VM images, backups
etc in Amazon S3) is very useful. Yes, EC2 is more expensive than
Bytemark. It's also a good deal more useful, has great features, tools
and APIs and programming language bindings to make it trivial to
extend into larger systems and I think it;s worth the money.

/joel
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk