[Gllug] Tape backups

Tethys sta296 at astradyne.co.uk
Mon Feb 16 00:31:52 UTC 2009

--------

Adrian McMenamin writes:

>Given that my tape (DDS4) takes four hours plus to bzip2, tar and write
>to tape 16GB of data, I am wondering what, if any, the advantages of
>backing up to tape, as opposed to (now very cheap) disk might be?

Like everything else, it depends. But I'd say for most workloads,
tape is no longer worthwhile. I stopped backing up to tape a few
years ago, and now just backup to disk (both locally and remotely).
If you don't have enough bandwidth to rsync to a remote site every
night, then tape might still be useful for you. But short of that,
I'd highly recommend disk based backups (in conjunction with regular
integrity checks using something like AIDE or tripwire).

Tet
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk