[Gllug] Government collecting comms data

lesleyb at herlug.org.uk lesleyb at herlug.org.uk
Wed Feb 18 00:00:29 UTC 2009

On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 11:39:59AM +0000, Chris Bell wrote:
> Hello,
>    I see, surprise surprise, that BT, rather than their wholesale customers,
> are expected to harvest comms data. I was under the impression that almost
> everything was already routed to a huge monitoring station about 15 miles
> west of Harrogate, (the name of a hill was reputed to attract immediate
> attention).

Are you thinking of Echelon (GCHQ) or Phorn(?) - the one where they are
collecting data about what everyone is looking at on t'Internet.  BT and
a few other ISPs were joining up on that.

All you've got to do is say bombs, bombs, bombs in an irc channel and
they'll all pop in.  It's either that or Semtex.

Regards

L.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk