[Gllug] Government collecting comms data

tid td at bloogaloo.co.uk
Thu Feb 19 10:12:14 UTC 2009

2009/2/19 Jose Luis Martinez <jjllmmss at googlemail.com>:

> Changing a server location? You have a procedure for that, thick the
> boxes of the different steps needed as you perform them, job done.
> Ditto for retirement of servers.

Yes: procedures are great, but my point was that servers get moved
and renaming them is a pain. My change to that plan was to use a
DNS alaias of WEB-SCOT-03. Me & my team referred to the machine in
question as "Pike", and if some west coast DBA needed to get to
it, they could. When we moved it, as we regularly did, all we needed
to change was the DNS record.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk