[Gllug] VACANCY: Site Reliability Engineering

John Hearns hearnsj at googlemail.com
Thu Feb 19 14:47:48 UTC 2009

2009/2/19 James Laver <gllug at jameslaver.com>:

> Then why are the stories so common? How is it that a lot of us know of a
> pitifully salaried job taken by a PhD because they're having trouble
> getting employed?

Me, I wouldn't say that I had trouble getting employed. But I DID want
to work in the field of medical imaging, and given that at the time
there were two (2) places in the UK with Positron Emission Tomography
scanners - those being Aberdeen and Guys and Tommies in London (*)
when I was offered a post as a sysadmin at Tommies I took my PhD in
high energy nuclear physics and leapt at the chance. I didn't start to
grizzle that they weren't offering me the same money as someone
working in an investment bank.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk