[Gllug] yesterday's meeting

fendersan at aol.com fendersan at aol.com
Sun Feb 1 05:32:26 UTC 2009

Hello,

I really enjoyed yesterday's meeting. The talks were a bit too advanced
for me but I picked up on a few invaluable tips. A big thank you to the
speakers and the organisers. Gllug's sharing spirit is something I
value greatly.

I wrote a basic C++ GUI app last year that had to run on Linux, Windows
and Mac OS X. I thought learning GTK or Qt was a bit overkill and ended
up using the Fast Light Toolkit (FLTK) for the job. If anyone's
interested the site is http://www.fltk.org/, the manual is at
http://www.fltk.org/doc-2.0/html/ and there are some video tutorials at
http://seriss.com/people/erco/fltk-videos/

Someone was asking about educational material to get kids interested in
computing careers. I've digged around for some links and found Alice
http://www.alice.org which seems to teach programming concepts in a
visual manner. Also there was a thread about Logo programming:
http://lists.gllug.org.uk/pipermail/gllug/2005-March/thread.html#50788

Cheers
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk