[Gllug] VACANCY: Site Reliability Engineering

James Laver gllug at jameslaver.com
Thu Feb 19 12:07:04 UTC 2009

On Thu, February 19, 2009 12:01 pm, Peter Corlett wrote:

> But, despite all that, they're still just offering a fairly middling
> sysadmin salary.
>
> (I've just searched Jobserve for non-banking permie Linux sysadmin
> jobs in London. The salaries of the top few hits are: Market Rate,
> £35k, £35-45k, £40k+, £43-47.5k.)
>
> It thus can't come as much of a shock that some people might be
> confused into thinking that "sysadmin" and "sysadmin plus $STUFF" are
> much the same job, given that the employer themselves are prepared to
> pay nothing extra for $STUFF.

Or the usual wheeze of "Developer with strong skills in systems
administration and project management expertise. A minimum of 5 years
experience, a positive attitude and flexibility in terms of working hours
are required." for 25k.

Read "Everything we want you to do, bags of experience, slaving away for
14 hour days -- for a junior salary".

--James
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk