[Gllug] Camalyn Vacancy Posts

Ryan Cartwright r.cartwright at equitasit.co.uk
Thu Feb 5 11:47:25 UTC 2009

This has proven quite an interesting discussion - which surprised me
given the subject matter.  One thing that has possibly not been
mentioned is how the company uses the agency/consultant/whatever.

If - as an employer - I have a relationship with a single agent who I
employ to go and find me suitable candidates (regardless of whether
they head-hunt or advertise the post) - it is a totally different
relationship to one where I advertise a post and get responses from
agents. In addition where agents send me details of "suitable
candidates" on a regular basis (regardless of whether I have a
vacancy) it soon becomes a real pain. The latter kind of relationship
does not engender me to such processes and so I become less enamoured
with the concept of agencies in that context.

The same applies to my relationship with agencies as a prospective
employee. Ones where I sign up and they fire off my CV to a million
companies are less helpful than those where they act as the sole
recruitment agency for a particular job. I've dealt with both and
found the latter to be helpful and useful but I am yet to find a
decent offer come from the former.

So - for me - an agent produces better results where the client is the
employer and not the candidate. It *should* work the other way too but
sadly it doesn't. Perhaps that is because if your client is an
employer and you do a good job - they'lll come back to you. If your
client is a candidate and you do a good job, you may not see them
again. :o)

--
Ryan Cartwright
Equitas IT Solutions