[Gllug] Camalyn Vacancy Posts

Thu Feb 5 12:48:48 UTC 2009

Balbir Thomas wrote:
> Hi,
>
>     > How does one get ahead on MERIT if nobody knows who you are?
>

> In academics getting a job in the intial 10-15 years of your career is
> almost totally a matter of who you know and what they think of you, both
> professionally and personally. I can only speculate why it is so, but it
> seems to be a vestige of the feudal practice of apprenticeship. In the
> industry in my experience there is a little more opertunity for
> competent people who may not have a network.

May I broaden this topic even further?

Aside from the hype, does anyone have experience of whether the LinkedIn
social-computing/social-network/Web2.0-community actually works for job
seeking IT people, project staff, managers, or ... ?

I did actually sign-up, ages ago, but only because it seemed to gain
kudos for an old friend, referee, ex-colleague, etc. So am in complete
ignorance...
=dn
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk