[Gllug] Perl Question - Spam Filter for NMS Form Mail

James Laver gllug at jameslaver.com
Tue Feb 17 17:06:59 UTC 2009

On Tue, February 17, 2009 4:52 pm, Richard Jones wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 02:41:44PM +0000, Nix wrote:

>> Perl ;)
>> >
>> > It's more powerful than any object system in any mainstream language
>> > (non-mainstream languages have similar).
>>
>> The Real Language in question was Common Lisp :)
>
> I knew CLOS was coming here ...

Don't bite. CLOS trumps all OO discussion.

> Is OO actually useful for anything?  The canonical example is GUI
> toolkits.  These days I'm less and less convinced that OO is helpful
> even there.

The problem with GUI toolkits is that there are a lot of components and
you find yourself writing code to deal with individual components.

Take haskell's gtk bindings for example. They're really quite nasty to
actually get any work done with. The same is to the said of the C ones,
it's much nicer using GTKmm in C++. It's mainly naming and writing
reusable methods. I'm not saying you can't write non-hateful bindings for
functional libraries (I'm sure a lot of nice things can be done with
Haskell's type classes, for example), it's just that noone has actually
bothered.

For an example of OO done rather well for GUI toolkits, take a look at
Perl's Tk bindings. It's so simple, you can knock together things very
quickly and it's even quite enjoyable to program in.*

--James
* Tk, for those who care about function over form. Because it's FUGLY.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk