[Gllug] Last Saturday's meeting

Thu Feb 5 15:09:08 UTC 2009

Many thanks to the many who made contributions to last Saturday's
meeting. Various folk had positive things to say. It was good to get a
GLLUG live event to actually happen.

Stephen did the back-room work to pull the meeting together (and then
handed me the easy bit). Sean did the front-room work, providing the
venue and welcoming in all the waifs and strays. Karanbir drew the
booby-prize: a ball-and-chain.
(NO not really! Congratulations to him and his new wife!)

Rich Jones showed a long experience of giving (GLLUG) talks, and
introduced us to his project of cross-compiling for Windows from one's
favorite Linux (Red Hat?Fedora) machine. Please see follow-up
information posted to here earlier.

We had one lightning talk, and from my seat right at the front I could
see Jon(ty) physically shaking in his nervousness - although it didn't
seem to show in his voice nor in the warm and enthusiastic reception
received. He outlined proposals to set up a Hack Lab in London. If the
venture gets off the ground there will be wide scope for GLLUG-HackLab
interactions and sharing. Please watch the GLLUG discussion list for
foundation meeting arrangements.

Matt Smith then gave us a detailed walk through QT. It was thought
provoking and of great encouragement to KDE users and devs. It was
interesting to look at the signals and slots approach to widget nesting
and coordination. Time to step up to the extended features and upgrade
to 4.5!

The general feedback received from the event has all been positive, and
there were appropriate yearning and encouraging noises that we continue
with a bi-monthly programme for the year. If you would like to assist in
this by joining our (currently) 'gang of four' please contact me or one
of the better-looking guys. Additionally, any and all topics, themes,
talks, suggestions, etc, will be gratefully received...

Again, our appreciation to the speakers and contributors!
=dn
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk