[Gllug] VACANCY: Site Reliability Engineering

James Laver gllug at jameslaver.com
Thu Feb 19 16:16:36 UTC 2009

On Thu, February 19, 2009 2:43 pm, John Hearns wrote:

> Balbir,
> if I have to aplogise I will be happy to. This is most certainly not
> aimed at you personally.
> I am just rather more than irritated at the attitude on this list that
> 40K per year salaries for what is being called a junior role are not
> so good. I really am gobsmacked at the attitude shown on this list -
> particularly in the recent recruitment consultant thread.

No one is arguing that. People are arguing that tuppence a week for a
senior role is quite unacceptable. 40k is quite good for a junior position
IMO.

> Yes you CAN earn really good money in London as a top PERL consultant.
> But let's not lump all of ourselves here in with that category, and
> expect to earn the same money when we don't do that sort of job.

Again, perhaps if you had bothered to read most of the emails posted to
the list, you wouldn't be picking the wrong fight.

My argument (and a certain amount of your venom seems to be directed
toward myself) is about skills and training. I'm not alone in having spent
a damn long time learning my craft and I'm somewhat put out that someone
of my standard should be expected to work for a salary that won't cover a
mortgage on a two-bed and still allow me to live a comfortable lifestyle.
I keep getting offers that barely cover the rent, let alone the booze
bill. Clearly these are quite inappropriate for me (and the blame tends to
lie with both the employer being unreasonable in their expectations and
the pimp for calling someone who is quite clearly not going to be
interested in the role).

Juniors take a lower salary because the training you get on the job is
going to get them that better role they want*. Generally they're of an age
where they can afford to as well, they usually don't have a mortgage,
(serious) partner or dependents.

I'm a simple man. I'd like to own the property I live in, be able to eat
out regularly, keep quality food and drink in the house and put a bit of
money in the bank for when I'm not being paid so well. If you think that's
unreasonable, I don't know what you want in life.

Someone who doesn't really know what they're doing *should* jump at 40k (I
would in that situation). Why should *I* get excited over 15?

--James
*Okay, so most people don't much care about training and only care that
it's all they can get.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk