[Gllug] RSI: Was VACANCY: Site Reliability Engineering

Tim Porter tim at timporter.co.uk
Fri Feb 27 22:30:27 UTC 2009

Talking of RSI, does anyone use any alternative keyboard layouts? How do
you find them?

I've just started using the Dvorak layout. Its meant to be faster to
type on but I've only been doing it about ten days and so I'm not up to
speed yet, I can touch type little bits but not much. The first things I
touch typed were "lol" and "ls -l" !

Typing speed is only a secondary concern however, mainly I'm thinking
about RSI and general comfort, I can definitely say that it is more
comfortable for me to type with it. I used to do a data entry job where
it was advantageous to go as fast as possible, I used to get nasty
shooting pains in my wrists and up my forearms (I mean debilitatingly
nasty at times), thankfully I don't do that job anymore but I worry that
in my later years (I'm only 23 now) they will resurface and prevent me
using a computer, which would be pretty devastating.

I've converted my laptop and a spare keyboard I have which I take to
work. Both linux (my laptop) and windows (work) are really easy to
reconfigure for it. Instead of ripping the keys out of a keyboard and
rearranging them (its not always so easy) I got some Dvorak conversion
stickers off ebay for a few quid.

If you can stomach learning to type again (it bring back memories if
nothing else) then I'd definitely recommend it.

Tim.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk