[Gllug] VACANCY: Site Reliability Engineering

John G Walker johngeoffreywalker at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Feb 19 22:26:55 UTC 2009

On Thu, 19 Feb 2009 08:53:53 -0500 Balbir Thomas
<balbir.thomas at gmail.com> wrote:

> > There has been research into this, although I don't have a cite to
> > hand. Assuming you've not gone to the University of Bums-on-Seats
> > and got a third-class degree in Tealeaf Reading, a degree will
> > increase your lifetime earning potential, but a PhD will reduce it
> > again.
>
> I dare say this is another urban myth. Though I will be interested in
> that data (if it is in a peer reviewed journal).

Given notice, I can give a reference to that. In fact, it's slightly
more complicated. Average salaries increase with educational level,
until you reach the PhD level, when it drops.

The key work here is *average*. Those with PhDs include a higher
number of people on academic salary scales, which are lower than those
in the real world. Once you divide up the sample to adjust for this,
the fall in salary disappears,

--
 All the best,
 John