[Gllug] Purchasing music online

Tethys sta296 at astradyne.co.uk
Mon Feb 2 09:39:32 UTC 2009

--------

Christopher Hunter writes:

>> By doing so, I have my music in a DRM free,
>
>...unless it's a Sony / BMG release (about one CD in three)

Errr, no. I have no trouble with Sony/BMG discs. If there's DRM
there, it's so ineffective that it's not be worth worrying about.

>> lossless format,
>
>...not according to us "analogue-heads" (analogue is "infinitely
>sampled") - there is NO digital format that comes close in overall
>fidelity to a properly aligned analogue recording and playback chain.

So buy vinyl then. Personally, I'm happy with CDs. Yes, I *can* hear
the difference, but only on a decent system in optimal listening
conditions, and while I have such a system, I find the convenience
of listening to whatever's in my /audio filesystem a greater motivator
than the added fidelity I get from vinyl. Plus the pain of ripping from
vinyl is too high. I still have hundreds of vinyl records, but I simply
don't listen to them any more, and I haven't got around to digitizing
them yet. With a CD, I just stick it in the drive and a few minutes
later, it's done...

>> The only downside is the lack of instant gratification, but to be honest,
>> if you really can't wait a couple of days to hear the new album by a band
>> you like, then you have problems.
>
>The downside, with most current recordings, is that if you wait for that
>"cooling-off" period, the music will certainly not be as appealing!

Huh? Are you saying that music has a shelf life of less than a couple
of days? I don't get it. If it's that bad, why would you want to buy
it in the first place?

Tet
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk