[Gllug] VACANCY: Site Reliability Engineering

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Thu Feb 19 14:05:32 UTC 2009

Peter Corlett wrote:
> I vaguely recall seeing a job recently that required a "two year
> commitment", which I suppose is one way of stopping people escaping.
> What do they do, chain you to the desk?

afaik, these contracts have some sort of financial penalty. Some might
even have clauses that state you cant work with some clients or specific
competitors for $period etc.

The only time I've seen this taken to court and thrashed around was when
a friend of mine left a large $InvestmentBank in 2004 and had to goto
court in order to resolve an issue. His case was heard and argued around
the idea of 'bonded labour'.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk