[Gllug] ads-free web hosting

John Edwards john at cornerstonelinux.co.uk
Fri Feb 6 13:42:36 UTC 2009

On Fri, Feb 06, 2009 at 12:50:17PM +0000, Peter Corlett wrote:
> On 6 Feb 2009, at 10:25, Johnathon Tinsley wrote:
> [...]
> > In my (limited) experience of the web-hosting world (LAMP stack),
> > Debian
> > / Ubuntu are by far the most favoured distros.
>

> That's because Debian is both free-as-in-beer and also supports old
> releases for a long time.

Do they support old releases for a long time?

I thought security updates ended one year after the next stable was
released.

One year to get your systems updated, tested, reconfigured, tested
again, co-ordinate the roll out with customers, etc. For a hard
pressed ISP that can be a very short time. Too many of them are
running old products without security updates.

In the past it seemed a long time because it was a long time between
Debian stable releases. Now they seem to be aiming at 2 to 2.5 years
it is only about 3 years of security support, which is very low
compared to the lifetime of a typical server. Ubuntu LTS releases
have 5 years of server support (for free), and I think RedHat/SuSE
commercial products offer 7 years.

Debian has many advantages, but I don't think long term support is
one of them.