[Gllug] "Free" wifi story

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Tue Feb 3 15:50:43 UTC 2009

I arrived today at my hotel to find that the loudly advertised "Free
Wifi" was in fact for an expensive "Wifi" service from a company
called "Free".  Well done, you got me.  It seems a bit petty to charge
120 EUR a night for a hotel and then demand an extra 12 EUR (10 quid!)
a day for Wifi ...

Anyway I then discovered that they don't block any high-numbered
ports, leaving all my ssh servers (now relocated to high-numbered
ports to avoid silly password attacks) clear and usable.  With a bit
of squid and some tunnels even HTTP is available.

Now who has the last laugh ...?

Rich.

--
Richard Jones