[Gllug] VACANCY: Site Reliability Engineering

Peter Corlett abuse at cabal.org.uk
Thu Feb 19 13:34:53 UTC 2009

On 19 Feb 2009, at 13:21, Balbir Thomas wrote:
> John Hearns <hearnsj at googlemail.com> wrote:
>> Why be depressed?
> After you consider the effort it took to develop those skills (which
> include more than a "passing familiarity" with a say C/C++) as
> opposed to just skills in C/C++ alone ....

My attitude to salaries is to ask myself why I should spend ten years
and endless unpaid evenings gaining mastery in IT skills when I can
get much the same sort of money driving Tube trains with just five
months on-the-job training?

>> Also you should consider that a Masters degree, or a PhD for that
>> matter, is not an automatic passort to a high salary.
> Education must be worth something. If it isn't perhaps a
> reconsideration
> of the nature of education itself is due ..

There has been research into this, although I don't have a cite to
hand. Assuming you've not gone to the University of Bums-on-Seats and
got a third-class degree in Tealeaf Reading, a degree will increase
your lifetime earning potential, but a PhD will reduce it again.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk