[Gllug] increase performance by increasing RAM or increasing in Core

j.roberts j.roberts at stabilys.com
Sun Feb 15 23:58:39 UTC 2009

Diana Scott wrote:
> My linux box has 2Gb Ram in a Centrino at 1.7Ghz running ubuntu 8.10
> 32bit. If i were upgrade to the highest latest spec such as 4Gb Ram in a
> Dual Core processor running ubuntu 64 bit, what are the significant
> speed increases that can be easily noticeable apart from the speed of

For normal desktop use you would be unlikely to notice much difference
IMHO in the circumstances you describe - 2GB is quite a reasonable
amount of memory for desktop use. But 4 *is* better, all things being
equal. 16GB is quite good :) It would show up if you were working with
*big* files.

> Would a Dual Core 1.7Ghz processor with a 2Gb Ram can be faster than a
> single Core processor with the same spec because the Dual Core has a
> double processing engine ?

I would have to disagree with other answers and say, yes, a dual-core
processor of the same speed as a single-core processor is notably more
responsive, to the extent that I will *never* go back to a single-core
machine now.

This is assuming you are using a GUI. It won't show up in the console
though - already fast enough.

The differences in Linux are invariably less than in Windows - Linux
manages resources very efficiently on the whole.

Of course, a dual-core does not (except in special circumstances - such
as music synthesis or graphic rendering) generally give near 200% of
single core performance in an application - something between 120-160%
is typical IME. Quad cores approach 320% at times.

MeJ

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk