[Gllug] Perl Question - Spam Filter for NMS Form Mail

- Tethys tethys at gmail.com
Fri Feb 13 11:45:43 UTC 2009

On Fri, Feb 13, 2009 at 11:08 AM, Daniel P. Berrange <dan at berrange.com> wrote:

> I like to class Python, as 'The VisualBasic' of the Linux world. Great
> for writing toys, not great for serious work;-P I seriously regret writing
> virt-manager in python now. It allowed me to get something pretty working
> very quickly, but it has been a long term maintainence disaster of horrific
> proportions.

So with the benefit of hindsight, which language would you have chosen
instead? I'm the first to admit that python has many faults. But I'm
not seeing an alternative that's clearly better. Ruby has syntax that
doesn't play nicely with my brain *and* is horrendously slow. If you
suggest perl will not lead to a maintenance disaster, I will laugh
long and hard at you. PHP is worse. Beyond that, you're probably into
the realms of esoteric[1] languages, like Haskell, Erlang, OCaml and
so on.

Tet

[1] Yes, Richard, I know. But despite the obvious benefits of each of
    the listed languages in various domains, none of them are yet at
    the stage where I'd be using them for general purpose programming
    (although I conceed that day is getting closer)

--
Perl is like vise grips. You can do anything with it but it is the
wrong tool for every job. -- Bruce Eckel
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk