[Gllug] Purchasing music online

Tue Feb 3 18:29:06 UTC 2009

Jason Clifford wrote:
> On Sun, 2009-02-01 at 15:11 +0000, sean wrote:
>> any minute someone will post about their Dansette Transit and playing
>> groovy 45s on the tube :)
>
> What are these 45s you write of? 78s man! 78s!

Yep, was waiting for this one! Alternatively about the guy who never
quite made the jump to CD technology because when he tried it the sound
was hopelessly scratchy, the shiny surface soon degraded to an ice rink,
and the disks just ruined his needles!
(no, child of the brave new world, not hypodermic needles...)

I had the good/mis-fortune of selling off all my records along with most
of my household effects, before moving to work overseas and in the
developing world. Music quality then was delimited by a shortwave
receiver, high trees, long-run single antenna wire, the troposphere, sun
spots, and Dave Lee Travis on the wild service...

Arriving back in the UK, was fortuitously in time for the arrival of CD,
and at the stage when the manufacturers were hopefully pushing out
quality players and sucking up some of the cost in a bid to 'buy'
converts - before 'cost' overcame 'quality'. I was sold on CDs via Dire
Straits, or was it the other way around? (those 'hi-fi' salesmen are a
whole different bunch of geeks!)

Fellow un-reconstructed hippies, ageing boomers, and those who don't
automatically think the word "rock" also has to do with those other
sorts of needles, might be interested in Wolfgang's Vault and allied
sites (wolfgangsvault.com). They seem to have a good collection of
'names' amongst their recordings of live concerts from way-back, eg
Clapton, Cream, D.Straits, R.Stones, Allman Brothers... (possibly more
'American' than 'British' in coverage)

Showing his (advanced) age,
=dn
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk