[Gllug] Government collecting comms data

tid td at bloogaloo.co.uk
Wed Feb 18 09:14:30 UTC 2009

2009/2/18 t.clarke <tim at seacon.co.uk>:
> The words semtex  may not occur that often in emails etc, but I bet C4 and bombs
> (not in the same sentence hopefully) crop up often enough  - so I guess GCHQ
> must be working overtime!
>
> They supposedly monitor all telphone calls for 'trip words'  - is this just
> an urban myth?  -  the processing power required would be VAST !

I worked with a telex engineer in the 80s who told me a story of a someone
who was a keen clay pidgeon shooter. The friend was visited by special
branch because he invited some colleagues (via telex) to a shoot with
the following telex:

 SHOOT SCAR GILL ON SATURDAY

a gill is a measure of land in scotland, and this particular gill was called
scar gill. The security services took the message to refer to the leader
of the miners union.

I suspect that telex was easier to monitor than voice...

Tid
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk