[Gllug] RAM in Intel boxes is very power hungry

Andy Smith andy at strugglers.net
Wed Feb 11 21:44:32 UTC 2009

Hi,

On Mon, Feb 09, 2009 at 05:22:53PM +0000, Andy Millar wrote:
> "Fully buffered ECC RAM required for Intel Xeons is very power hungry"

Agreed.  I've measured it as a few watts per 2GB DIMM.  A worse
problem for me is the extra heat generated by the FB-DIMMs, as it
makes it harder to cool a 1U.

This put me off FB-DIMMs but if I went back I would probably buy
larger cases with better cooling.

Conversely the idle power draw of an Opteron-based server with 2x2GB
is within a couple of watts of the same server with another 4x4G in
it.

Cheers,
Andy

Encrypted mail welcome - keyid 0x604DE5DB