[Gllug] VACANCY: Site Reliability Engineering

John Hearns hearnsj at googlemail.com
Thu Feb 19 14:43:53 UTC 2009

2009/2/19 Balbir Thomas <balbir.thomas at gmail.com>:
>> John, I earnestly appreciate your sobering touch and will heed. But I am not
> comfortable persuing a discussion that seems to be specifically
> directed towards me
> on a public mailing list. Nor do I see its relavence to others in here.
> Perhaps over beer some time.

Balbir,
if I have to aplogise I will be happy to. This is most certainly not
aimed at you personally.
I am just rather more than irritated at the attitude on this list that
40K per year salaries for what is being called a junior role are not
so good. I really am gobsmacked at the attitude shown on this list -
particularly in the recent recruitment consultant thread.

Yes you CAN earn really good money in London as a top PERL consultant.
But let's not lump all of ourselves here in with that category, and
expect to earn the same money when we don't do that sort of job.

On the subject of academic salaries, and advertising for people with
higher degrees,
I have worked as a postdoctoral research assistant, and have worked on
the academic and related pay scales in
research groups in both the NHS and London medical schools (Guys
Hospital and United Medical and Dental Schools) so I do know what I'm
talking about.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk