[Gllug] Perl Question - Spam Filter for NMS Form Mail

James Laver gllug at jameslaver.com
Fri Feb 13 13:57:50 UTC 2009

On Fri, February 13, 2009 1:14 pm, Richard Jones wrote:

> Indeed ...  I've had no problems with Perl projects, including
> famously a 100,000 line Perl project that DanB & I worked on once.
>
> We had code reviews, lots of automation (builds, testing, code
> quality), and everyone had to 'use strict' and deal with warnings.
>
> If you want to pick on some Perl code I've written recently, I'll let
> you comment on these links:
>
> http://hg.et.redhat.com/cgi-bin/hg-misc.cgi/fedora-mingw--devel/file/tip/nsiswrapper
> http://hg.et.redhat.com/cgi-bin/hg-misc.cgi/fedora-mingw--devel/file/07676eb440a6/crossreport
>
> Rich.

Minor hate in that POD is at the top of the file.

But onto ocaml since I gather you're a fan.

I bought 'Practical Ocaml' last year and it truly is the most awful
programming book I've had the misfortune to read. The writing is awful
with lots of omissions and it's not for lack of trying. As someone who
likes Haskell and Lisp, it's not that I'm struggling to understand amazing
new concepts, it's that genuinely the explanation is awful.

As far as I can tell from this, Ocaml is a really bastardised ML dialect
with caution thrown to the wind as far as immutability is concerned.

Things I'm hating so far:

- Syntax. It really makes me want to gouge out my eyes with plastic
spoons. What's with the single-quote in polymorphic types? What's with the
double-semicolon? etc.
- Naming. I don't want to have to map 'Hashtbl' to 'hash table' in my
head. There are some shorter ones as well that aren't immediately obvious.
Hateful.
- Library. Haskell has a really wonderful set of higher order functions in
the prelude. I liked a couple of the ones I saw in ocaml, kprintf() I
think was one but yet again it still wasn't entirely clear how to use it
from the awful explanation.
- Syntax. Did I mention it makes we want to gouge out my eyes with plastic
spoons?

There are positive things I've noticed, but honestly these just make me
want to run screaming.

--James
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk