[Gllug] Tape backups

Martin A. Brooks martin at hinterlands.org
Mon Feb 16 21:05:21 UTC 2009

John Winters wrote:
> Bruce Richardson wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Feb 15, 2009 at 01:43:15PM +0000, John wrote:
>>
>>> If you put aside the sarcastic, unhelpful replies Adrian, you ask a
>>> very good question.
>>>
>>> I've put in a few systems which have mirrored data to RAID setups
>>> using Dirvish, which I would recommend as being easy to install and
>>> understand.
>>> http://www.dirvish.org/
>>>
>> A dirvish system doesn't give you backups, it gives you a mirror with
>> history (on a single logical device).  While this is useful, people
>> *really* have to get their head round the difference.
>>

> What then would be your definition of a backup?

I've clearly been watching too much Yes (Prime) Minister :)

I refer the honourable gentleman to my reply to the list on 03/03/2006
at 21:08 where I said:

A copy on disk is a copy.

A backup is an indexed archive that guarantees a point-in-time recovery
of data to a time resolution decided by local policy. A backup is
distributed, is stored off or near line, and is non-trivial to corrupt
or delete.  A backup is on non-fragile media - a hard disk drive will
almost certainly not survive dropping 1 meter onto concrete, a DLT tape
almost certainly will.  A backup lets you see what changed, when (within
the above set time resolution), and preferably whom it was changed by.

A backup is what you use when your data centre has burned down, all the
hardware is beyond recovery and you somehow have to get your production
systems operational again.

In this scenario if I turned round and said "Oh sorry, I copied all that
important stuff onto a RAID5 set, well, that's sort of a backup, isn't
it? And would you know it, it's corrupted on me!"  I'd expect to be
stared at in wild-eyed disbelief followed by laughter as they realise
that no-one, no-one who has ever dealt with mission critical data, ever,
could possibly confuse a backup system for copying stuff onto a bunch of
hard disks.

And then, as I have done mercifully few times before, I call up Hayes,
who's number has been in my mobile phone for a long time, and say
"Please send our last full backup set, and all the dailies since, on a
bike as soon as possible please."

I also refer the honourable gentleman to his own reply to my reply on