[Gllug] VACANCY: Site Reliability Engineering

Balbir Thomas balbir.thomas at gmail.com
Fri Feb 20 14:45:09 UTC 2009

On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 8:37 AM, Stephen Nelson-Smith
<sanelson at gmail.com> wrote:
> You jest, but a friend of mine is recruiting a junior PHP developer,
> and is offering about 12K.  He's getting lots of applicants.
> Obviously junior - just out of school etc, but all the same...

Question is : Are the members of this list willing to let recruiters
and companies
use the resources of this list, to recruit people at wages that don't
afford them
a life of dignity, appropriate to their skill level ? Though I am sure
a lot worse goes on in
this world, but does that mean we be silent spectators to it, or even
neutral commentators
(alas, so it is, Amen!) ? Or should we as Linux/Unix adminstrators and
developers strive to
setup basic humane standards of what is and is not acceptable in our
profession ? I think
the polite way to refer to such an approach is "exercising our
collective bargaining power" .

This is an open question to all members of this list and not directed
to any one specific,
even though I am replying to Stephen's post.

regards
bt
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk