[Gllug] VACANCY: MySQL Database Architect (Reading, Berkshire, UK)

Stephen Nelson-Smith sanelson at gmail.com
Fri Feb 13 14:56:48 UTC 2009

Hi,

> Really, it's *Paddington itself* that's the arse to get to. Even
> before one tries to get to Reading. It very quickly falls into the
> "too much effort" bucket.

Fair enough.  Incidentally for exactly this reason, my uncle take his
bike on the train and cycles from Paddington to Old Street.  It takes
the unpredictability out of the London-end leg of the journey.

> [...]
>> These days I'd take a bike on the train, and cycle at each end.
>
> Bikes aren't allowed on the Tube in rush hour

No... but they have wheels and pedals - I wasn't suggesting taking a
bike on the tube.  Do people really do this?  Bizarre.

> and often refused on National Rail services too.

Yes, often on the peak commuter lines into London, unfortunately.  I'm
not aware of such a restriction going out of London.  I was actually
talking about my journey to Basingstoke (from my own home no-longer in
London).  SWT are particularly good at allowing bicycles on the train,
thankfully.

--
Stephen Nelson-Smith
Technical Director