[Gllug] Camalyn Vacancy Posts

Jose Luis Martinez jjllmmss at googlemail.com
Thu Feb 5 10:34:27 UTC 2009

On Thu, Feb 5, 2009 at 10:02 AM, Hari Sekhon <hpsekhon at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Christopher Hunter wrote:
>> On Tue, 2009-02-03 at 17:53 +0000, John G Walker wrote:

>>> Do have examples of this?
>>>

>> Many!
>>
>> I've worked at high levels in a number of good companies, and all
>> recruited through either the "old pals" network, or through personal
>> recommendations from existing members of their staff (much the same
>> thing!).
>>
>> None of them used agencies.
>>
>> I did ask on a couple of occasions "Why not?" and received the same
>> answer in each case:  the candidates supplied by the agencies were the
>> ones unable to get jobs for themselves, and were therefore (generally)
>> below the standards required...
>>
> Chris,
>
>   This leaves 1 problem:
>
> People who spend all their time on their computers and not networking
> have little to no real network of connections, the people they work with
> don't want to lose them or want them to leave, so they aren't going to
> recommend to someone else to poach them, and those who are lower on the
> pole may themselves not have enough contacts to be of any use.
>

> So the question really becomes:
>
> How does one get ahead on MERIT if nobody knows who you are?

You can't get ahead on merit alone, you need some degree of social
interaction and networking.

Even for work that comes via agencies, if you don't sit down and talk
to the agent, then you just become a bum in a seat, as somebody
described aptly how some agencies look at prospective employees.

I would take the comments from the companies mentioned with a grain of
salt (as I would somebody saying that agencies are the best and only
way to get a good job), as I think you are guessing, people making
such broad generalizations are losing oportunities to hire good
people, it stands to logic that by reducing the pool of available
candidates so drastically you somehow magically get more quality, at
the very least you should be comparing your buddies against what is
out there in order to keep them in their toes (it is good for them :-)
).
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk