[Gllug] help with USB mass storage

Richard Huxton dev at archonet.com
Tue Feb 10 14:11:27 UTC 2009

salsaman at xs4all.nl wrote:
> so I figured the type is vfat. In fact this seems correct, as I can mount
> /dev/sdb -t vfat
>
> Once mounted I can see all of the directories and files on the disk.

Most modern "desktop" linux distros will automatically spot and mount
these sorts of things. Does yours spot USB pen-drives and the like?

> The problem occurs when copying. For example copying the photos directory:
>
> cp: reading `/media/star/image/record/ak000006.jpg': Input/output error
>
> I get a lot of errors like that and in fact the resulting jpegs are
> truncated.

Do you have any problems with USB pen-drives on this machine?

Do you have another cable you can try (always worth checking imho)?

How is the device identified if you run "lsusb" as root?

--
  Richard Huxton
  Archonet Ltd
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk