[Gllug] VACANCY: Site Reliability Engineering

James Laver gllug at jameslaver.com
Thu Feb 19 17:21:29 UTC 2009

On Thu, February 19, 2009 5:09 pm, Stephen Nelson-Smith wrote:

> Isn't that just market forces?  I didn't hear anyone complaining when
> moderately skilled LAMP admins were picking up contracts at £700 a
> day.  The market contracts, people are prepared to be paid less.
> Don't take it personally.
>

> Unless I've misread this thread, I'm not aware of anyone suggesting
> that's an unreasonable ambition - care to point me to where they did?

Obviously we're all affected by market forces. On the other hand the
suggestion that salaries will have to suffer and that people should be
willing to accept poor salaries is just a bit off.

The point that I'm trying to make is that some people seem to consider
everything to be about money and that some of use are merely snobs for
wanting more than tuppence a week. We all have a certain lifestyle we want
to maintain, but apparently I'm the minority when I have standards about
pay even in the current economic climate.

--James
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk