[Gllug] hide ip address

Richard Huxton dev at archonet.com
Tue Feb 10 08:05:21 UTC 2009

lucy peters wrote:
> I am using ubuntu 8.10, can you show me how to hide ip address when I
> surf the web using firefox?

You can't. The other end of the connection always knows which IP is
connecting (although it probably sees the IP of your ADSL router rather
than your PC).

You can block your referer (google "firefox block referer") which is a
different thing though - it says which site you came from when you
follow links. It's used by advertisers etc. to track usage stats.

If you genuinely want to browse anonymously you'll want to access the
web via an "anonymous proxy" (have a quick google).

--
  Richard Huxton
  Archonet Ltd
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk