[Gllug] VACANCY: Site Reliability Engineering

John Hearns hearnsj at googlemail.com
Thu Feb 19 12:56:33 UTC 2009

2009/2/19 Balbir Thomas <balbir.thomas at gmail.com>:
> Reminds me of an ad I saw for a person who knows "Finite Element Analysis", in
> particular of fluid flow problems, and Numerical Computing in General,
> along with
> a "very strong" C/C++ and "algorithm development" skills. Knowledge of
> ANSYS, Matlab ... was a plus. The offered salary was 25-28K somewhere in
> london.
>
> From what I understand you would need at least a Masters in Math or Physics
> (possibly Engineering from a good univ) with specialization in computational
> fluid dynamics for a position like that.
>
> Left me depressed for the rest of the day. :-)

Why be depressed?
That sounds to me like this company was looking to recruit someone
from a University research group,
and salaries in that range are attractive to someone on postdoctoral
scales - have a look sometime at academic job adverts. Quite often
someone with a few years as a postdoc will be looking for something
which is not on short-term grant funding, and a move to industry is
attractive for that reason. A salary of 28K would attract that person.

Also you should consider that a Masters degree, or a PhD for that
matter, is not an automatic passort to a high salary.

And I do happen to have  a passing acquaintance with numerical
computing and computational fluid dynamics.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk