[Gllug] ads-free web hosting

Lesley Binks lesleyb at pgcroft.net
Tue Feb 3 22:38:12 UTC 2009

On Tue, Feb 03, 2009 at 09:50:05PM +0000, Diana Scott wrote:

> Hello
>
> Can you recommend me some ads-free web hosting site so that i could put my newly learnt html into practice trying to build a simple site?
>
> Please advise.
>
> Diana

Hi Diana

If you have a Linux distro installed you could save money by simply
installing your own local web server and starting your practice using
your localhost.  This would be sufficient to get you started for
practice sessions.

You might not want to serve to the Internet from your local machine, and
unless you have a separate machine to act as your outward facing web
server, some networking skills and a good understanding of firewalls
and a grasp of system/network security, I'd say initially don't try
to serve outside your network from a local machine.

If you feel you have those skills you could look at
http://www.no-ip.com/ or http://www.dyndns.com/services/dns/dyndns/ and
point a domain or sub-domain at your server machine.

While the mere mention of these folks might make the list growl,
http://fasthosts.co.uk hosts web sites and does domain registrations as well.
You simplyh regsiter the domain name through them and then use the web
space they provide.  They would be responsible for a general level of
system security but not responsible for any security holes you mighht
introduce via any php or perl programming you do.  I have used Perl CGI
scripts there but not mod_perl and I wouldn't know how to begin to use
mod_perl on one of their servers.  As far as I recall a simple site with
a uk TLD might cost £5 p.a for the domain registration and then there
would be server fees of c £50 p.a.

http://bytemark.co.uk does some pretty good hosting deals on virtual
machines but there you are responsible for your server's security.  They
can also handle domian registration but this deal is more expensive than
fasthosts with the VM costing just under £180 p.a and domain name
management costing c. £10 p.a.

> Windows Live Messenger just got better .Video display pics, contact updates & more.
If you are using a Windows machine then again you could download Wamp
from http://www.wampserver.com/en/ which would give you Apache, PHP and
MySQL on a windows machine.

Your ISP may also provide you with free web-space which might be
sufficient for your needs at the moment.

HTH

Lesley

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk