[Gllug] VACANCY: Site Reliability Engineering

Peter Corlett abuse at cabal.org.uk
Thu Feb 19 12:01:11 UTC 2009

On 19 Feb 2009, at 11:15, Bruce Richardson wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 10:52:11AM -0000, James wrote:
>>
>> Because who'd want a sysadmin for a sysadmin role?
> SRE isn't just a fancy name for sysadmin.  I think Google may have
> been
> the first outfit to use the title but several of the big companies on
> the Net are now using it and it means a lot more than plain sysadmin.
> SREs are expected to have extensive understanding of network and web
> protocols/technologies, of the fundamental principles of more than one
> OS, of web application design and development, to have good
> troubleshooting skills across all of these areas, to show initiative
> and
> be able to predict and prevent problems that might otherwise cause
> downtime.  The focus is (web) application support, not systems
> administistration, although sysadmin skills are a key part of an SRE's
> toolkit.

But, despite all that, they're still just offering a fairly middling
sysadmin salary.

(I've just searched Jobserve for non-banking permie Linux sysadmin
jobs in London. The salaries of the top few hits are: Market Rate,
£35k, £35-45k, £40k+, £43-47.5k.)

It thus can't come as much of a shock that some people might be
confused into thinking that "sysadmin" and "sysadmin plus $STUFF" are
much the same job, given that the employer themselves are prepared to
pay nothing extra for $STUFF.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk