[Gllug] VACANCY: MySQL Database Architect (Reading, Berkshire, UK)

Christopher Hunter cehunter at gb-x.org
Thu Feb 12 18:37:21 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-02-12 at 18:17 +0000, Joel Bernstein wrote:

> It is worth pointing out that Muswell Hill is a fairly pathological
> case, being inconveniently wedged not very close to either Northern or
> Piccadilly lines, and having annoyingly slow roads for buses to travel
> on to either near stations.

Here to Bounds Green is just over five minutes by reasonably frequent
buses (though this morning was dreadful).  Highgate is just over 10
minutes away, though rather more in the morning peak.

> Bike down to Archway probably would cut 20
> mins off a central London commute, of course the uphill ride on cold
> winter evenings might not be so fun though.

Biking anywhere these days is almost suicidal!  In my case, even more so
with a dodgy heart (I had heart failure and major surgery last year!).

> I've twice looked at flats in that area and given up in favour of
> somewhere nearer to a tube station.. Shame, because Muswell Hill seems
> quite a nice place to live really.

It's a marvellous place to live - it's quite quiet, I have an unusually
large garden (for London), property prices haven't significantly
declined (though growth has stopped), buses are quite frequent and
parking is still unrestricted.  There's also quite a sense of community,
and it's the first place I've lived in London where I've got to know all
my neighbours. I've lived in London, in many different areas, for 30
years, and I find Muswell Hill to be the very best of all of them.

> Do you not find that it's a pretty awful place to begin tube travel
> to work?

See above - it's not too bad.  The tubes are the nightmare!  My job also
sometimes demands that I go to the Docklands, and I've developed
something of a hatred for the DLR!

Chris

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk