[Gllug] VACANCY: Site Reliability Engineering

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Thu Feb 19 14:10:36 UTC 2009

Hari Sekhon wrote:
> Over qualified is the stupidest thing I have ever heard. Ever.

I disagree.

Overqualified people are almost always a bad idea for any job role. You
dont want a technical manager doing generic IT helpdesk work. You'll
find that someone having done 6 months of helpdesk in a specific
deployment role to have exponentially higher productivity than the
person who wrote the network protocol stack that is used on the
deployment.[1]

A lot of the expertise that people have had in the past tends to be left
behind in the past as its no longer used in such aggressive detail
anymore. So the idea of personal development and growth isnt really
overrated at all.

- KB

[1] I know people who do this sort of thing, dont think many of them
would survive a helpdesk scenario more than a few days :)

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk