[Gllug] Tape backups

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at workshy.org
Tue Feb 17 14:18:49 UTC 2009

On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 01:45:27PM +0000, John wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 01:31:26PM +0000, Bruce Richardson wrote:
> <snip>
> > Then don't backup the live db, use replication and backup a replica.
> > Then you can afford to stop the replica entirely while you take a
> > snapshot/dump, if you want.
>
> So how much difference is there between backing up the raw database
> files from /var/lib/mysql and making a mysqldump ?
>
> I can see that the raw files would be faster to restore, but won't
> a dump be safer, more portable and easier to find/fix errors with?

So dump the replica.  The point is that you have removed the load from
the master.

That said, since you need a snapshot of the master db to create a
replica in the first place, you could just keep that snapshot and all
the replication binlogs, since replaying those against the snapshot
should bring you up to date.  In practice, I'd want an alternative.

--
Bruce

Remember you're a Womble.