[Gllug] Linux wireless optimisations

Joel Bernstein joel at fysh.org
Sat Feb 14 15:25:55 UTC 2009

2009/2/14 Thomi Richards <thomir at gmail.com>:
<snip wireless problem>

I can't speak for your exact issue but of the many occasions I have
spent debugging wireless issues, the one problem that seems to *keep
on* cropping up and manifesting itself as odd connection patterns,
timeouts, intermittent network invisibility etc is where the different
wireless stations don't all have the same idea of which country
they're in. EU, USA, Japan and so on all permit different areas of
spectrum for Wifi and certainly some of the channels are outside the
USA frequency allocation. If you ensure that all your kit is set to UK
and select Channel 13, you may find that you avoid interference and
the network Just Works.

Reading back this sounds awfully unscientific so YMMV. I do find that
a lot of transient wifi issues can be avoided by ensuring kit agrees
about which channels are legal and selecting one which doesn't
interfere with neighbour kit - Channel 13 usually best I find.

HTH,
/joel
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk