[Gllug] Perl Question - Spam Filter for NMS Form Mail

Henry Gilbert henry.gilbert at gmail.com
Tue Feb 10 13:40:30 UTC 2009

2009/2/10 Peter Corlett <abuse at cabal.org.uk>:
> On 9 Feb 2009, at 18:35, Henry Gilbert wrote:
>> 2009/2/9 Ryan Cartwright <r.cartwright at equitasit.co.uk>:
>>> I'm colour blind and certain colour combinations have been known to
>>> make me pass out, others can render text completely invisible. I
>>> don't
>>> use a screen reader and have otherwise good vision. I would generally
>>> view the same site as "the rest" but on some sites I just can't see
>>> anything or the colours make me physically sick.
>> Could you let me know please which combinations these are?
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colour_Blindness is worth a gander.
>
>  From that, you can see that red-green is the most common. What this
> means is that you can't get away with colour schemes where the only
> variation is in the red or green colour component. I recall being very
> annoyed with a site that decided to use an orangey-red for the link
> colour and an indistinguishable reddish-orange for the followed-link
> colour, which was the sole way to tell what I'd read in their forum.
> (I've got very poor acuity in red and impaired green.)
>
>> Also what kind of features would help you navigate such sites better?
>
> Don't use colour-coding if it's important that people notice it.
> Provide other visual cues. For example, if you are doing an
> information panel and want to use red/amber/green to indicate status,
> consider using a different font for the label.

I often use bold and underline these days to distinguish links.

On the navigational menu:

Actual Bold = page you are in.
Underline = focus under mouse

I asked about that site because I may redesign it soon, it is not very
accessible. So want to make it a tad more user-friendly.

regards

HG

--
SEO Mastery