[Gllug] SCSI card recommendation

- Tethys tethys at gmail.com
Tue Jan 20 15:46:49 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 3:30 PM, John Hearns <hearnsj at googlemail.com> wrote:

> No fscking wonder they didn't work then.
>
> God, the times we beat the connectors into shape with a hammer.....

:-)

Sounds like time for me to wheel out a war story (I might have
mentioned it before, but here it is again anyway). Back in prehistoric
times, one of the clients of the company I was working for at the time
was a prestigious London hotel. We had a call from them saying that
the backup had failed one night. After a bit of "try this", "try
that", we decided that it couldn't be fixed remotely, and we had to
send an engineer out.

The backups were being done to QIC tape. For those that don't remember
such things, they only went into the drive one way around, and had a
substantial metal plate on one side, which meant that you physically
couldn't put it into the drive the wrong way around. But that didn't
deter the intrepid accounts department of said hotel. Oh no. When the
tape wouldn't go into the drive, their solution was to apply leverage.
Our engineer arrived to find a battered tape wedged into the drive,
along with the bent spoon that had been used to lever it into its
current predicament.

Tet

PS. The same customer once made me take a 150 mile trip to their
office after failing to fix their woes over the phone. I walked into
their office, flipped the power switch on their "broken" terminal, and
left. I'd even got them to double check that it was switched on over
the phone beforehand...

--
Perl is like vise grips. You can do anything with it but it is the
wrong tool for every job. -- Bruce Eckel
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk