[Gllug] Grub on lvm

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Thu Jan 8 00:01:01 UTC 2009

On 6 Jan 2009, James Hawtin stated:

> On Tue, Jan 06, 2009 at 03:06:34PM +0000, James Courtier-Dutton wrote:
>> If /boot is on a LV, grub will not work so stay with lilo.
>
> Most people normally avoid the problem, by having a minimal /boot as a
> physical partition, Personally I aways have / and /boot as real partitions
> not on LVM as it makes rescue of a dead system alot easier, being less
> reliant on the right things working in the initrd, for me the main advantage
> of lvm is being able to resize partitions later, and have never needed to
> resize /

If you link your initramfs into the kernel image, you avoid that problem
entirely: as long as you keep a working kernel around and LVM doesn't
change radically (unlikely to happen), you will always have a working
rescue system, inside the kernel image.

(Personally I use LILO, but /boot is still not in LVM because LILO can
boot from LVM and it can boot from RAID-1, but not both, and I prefer
the RAID-1 peace of mind. Everything else is LVM-on-RAID-5.)

--
`We must stand together and fight for our shared cultural heritage as a
 group of people who cannot stand together to fight for our shared
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk