[Gllug] Grub on lvm

Alain Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Wed Jan 7 12:11:10 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jan 07, 2009 at 11:31:00AM +0000, - Tethys wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 6, 2009 at 8:02 PM, James Hawtin <oolon at ankh.org> wrote:
>
> >> Oddly enough, I found myself needing to increase the size of my root
> >> filesystem just the other day (a yum update didn't have enough free
> >> space to complete), and was glad that it was on LVM and I was able to
> >> do so without problems...
> >
> > Out of interest Was your /var, /usr, /tmp or /home part of your /
> > filesystem?
>
> Naturally not. But it seems I come from a bygone era when people
> still believed in avoiding unnecessary bloat. I felt (and indeed
> still feel) that a 500MB root filesystem should be more than enough.
> After all, a root filesystem should contain only what is necessary
> to boot the system, and repair it if things go wrong. Hell, even
> the FHS agrees with me on that -- indeed it explicitly says that it is
> a goal to try and keep the root filesystem as small as reasonably
> possible. Sadly, those developing modern distributions seem to
> have different ideas :-(

I kind of agree ... however I now make RFSs 1GB in size, partly because
it is possible (disk is cheap) however the main reason/culrpit is
/lib/modules this can easily bring in 80M-100M per installed kernel.
I like to keep current on kernels supplied by the distro and don't want to
have to worry hard about running out of disk space because I have a few
installed - but haven't rebooted (yet) to run the latest one & so be able to
zap older ones --- even then I like to keep an old kernel in case a new
one won't boot/...

To that end I have as separate file systems:
	/tmp /var /home /boot /usr

--
Alain Williams
+44 (0) 787 668 0256  http://www.phcomp.co.uk/