[Gllug] Email Autoresponders

Ryan Cartwright r.cartwright at equitasit.co.uk
Sat Jan 17 20:38:44 UTC 2009

2009/1/17 Martin A. Brooks <martin at hinterlands.org>:
> On 17/01/2009 14:05, Stephen Nelson-Smith wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Notwithstanding the general feeling that we don't much like
>> autoresponders... suppose one has been asked to implement one - I'm
>> looking for recommendations.
>>
>> I'm using exim 4.63 as the MTA.
>>
>> The requirement is that each user can easily set or unset an
>> autoresponse of their choice.
>>

> I would use the aged but entirely servicable "vacation".

Agreed - I have Exim and use vacation with around 140 users. They are
virtual users so no home directories to put the vacation files in.
What I do is have Exim look for a file vacation_msg.<username> which
in turn is set by users via a perl script on our Intranet (hosted on
the same server). List detection and single responses to the same
senders within 7 days : it works a treat. The users can also set a
"return" date which is checked by a cron job and any expired vacation
messages are removed.

cheers
Ryan
--