[Gllug] Perl Developer Vacancy

Peter Corlett abuse at cabal.org.uk
Wed Jan 14 19:44:11 UTC 2009

On 13 Jan 2009, at 17:59, Stephen Nelson-Smith wrote:
>> I get the impression that it's an easy test to distinguish those who
>> write real programs in Perl from those who write PHP in Perl.
> I've done a fair bit of OO programming in PHP5.  It's really very
> capable.

Not really. It appears to be roughly based upon Java's bondage-and-
discipline OO model. The notable missing features are multiple
inheritance, which precludes techniques like mixins, and the ability
to add new methods at run time which would save needing to bodge it
with a __call() method.

>> (I've been learning rather more than I wanted to know about PHP of
>> late. Reminds me, need to get in another crate of beer to make me
>> forget the scars.)
> I recommend: http://www.apress.com/book/view/9781590599099

I've already got the Gang of Four book and ORA's PHP Nutshell book.
What else does that book offer?

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk